The Dallas Opera is committed to supporting its local communities here in North Texas that may be impacted by the crisis in Ukraine. While the need is not new, we acknowledge that this situation has again shined a light on the necessity for humanitarian aid and financial support for organizations doing this work.
This list is not comprehensive, but serves as a starting point for those willing to donate time or financial resources. Below are links to organizations—both local and international—that provide assistance and aid to refugees and others impacted by this conflict, as well as others.
- The UN Refugee Agency – UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights, and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people.
- Save The Children – Save the Children has been operating in Ukraine since 2014, delivering essential humanitarian aid to children and their families.
- UNICEF – UNICEF works in over 190 countries and territories to save children’s lives, to defend their rights, and to help them fulfill their potential, from early childhood through adolescence.
- Break Bread Break Borders – Refugee women from war-torn countries are economically empowered through cooking for a living. They are mentored by professional chefs, restaurants, caterers, and culinary consultants. The BBBB community cooks acquire food handler permits and food manager license certifications for job opportunities in the food service industry.
- Refugee Services of Texas – Guided by the principles of human compassion and dignity, Refugee Services of Texas welcomes refugees, immigrants, and other displaced peoples and supports them in integrating and thriving in their new communities.
- Catholic Charities of Dallas, Refugee Support – Financial education, career development and training, employment counseling, pregnancy & adoption help, after-school programs, Brady Senior Center, immigration and legal services, reception and placement, cultural orientation, refugee cash assistance, and match grants.
- International Rescue Committee – The mission of the IRC is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster, including the climate crisis, to survive, recover and gain control over their future.
- DFW Refugee Outreach Services – DFW Refugee Outreach Services is a nonprofit organization founded in 2016 to serve refugee families arriving in the DFW area.
- It Gets Better Project – The It Gets Better Project is a nonprofit organization with a mission to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer youth around the globe.
- HIAS – HIAS stands for a world in which refugees find welcome, safety, and opportunity. Drawing on Jewish values and history, HIAS provides vital services to refugees and asylum seekers around the world and advocates for their fundamental rights so they can rebuild their lives.
- Type One Style – Currently providing support and supplies to diabetics in Ukraine to those that are without insulin and other necessities to monitor their illness.
- Everybody Can International and Charitable Foundation – Medical and social help for disabled children and internationally displaced elderly people.
- Help Ukraine Super-Site – Detailed website explaining methods of providing aid and helping Ukraine from abroad including social media coverage, ways to contact politicians for immediate action, and information about hosting refugees.
- Resources for BIPOC and Slavic Ukrainian Refugees – A linktree list of resources for BIPOC and Slavic Ukrainian Refugees compiled by historian Kimberly St. Julian-Varnon, whose work focuses on Russia, the Soviet Union, Central Asia, and East Germany (GDR). Includes information and resources for BIPOC & LGBTQIA+ refugees.
- AirBnb – AirBnb is partnering with hosts to place 100,000 refugees in temporary homes. You can donate to help fund stays or sign up to become a host.
- WhatsApp group for African Students Stranded in Ukraine – Group for African Students in UA to share information, resources, and their experiences.